Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fall Leaves and Music

  On Thursday night, Aaron invited me to a concert for the University of Utah’sPhilharmonia.  I joined him at Kingsbury hall and was delighted to find out that with his student discount, my ticket was only $4.  The student players did 3 pieces.  The first was a modern atonal piece that Aaron and I disagreed on.  He liked it, while I found the composition to be a prime example of my dislike for atonal, non-melodic composition.  The second was a Bach Concerto performed by a chamber orchestra, which we both found delightful.  After intermission, they played all of Elgar’s Enigma variations which are always a treat. 
I found out this week that I have a job offer from Zion’s bank to be part of thier implementation team.  It’s a great offer, but we are also waiting to hear if I get an offer from 2 other recent interviews.  I should hear about one of them tomorrow, so I’ll need to make a decision in the next couple of days.  Pray for us to make the best decision. 
Yesterday, Mom and I needed to get out of the house, so we took Jack down to Big Cottonwood Canyon to see the fall leaves.  It’s not the north side of Grandfather Mountain (back in NC) but there is a real beauty to the fall in our Rocky Mountains.  We hiked a bit on the Mill B trail, then up around Silver like at Brighton.  I fell in love with the sight of the white Aspen trunks framed by their bright yellow leaves with a clear blue sky in the background.  It was simply gorgeous!   We drove over Gaurdsman Pass and descended on a very steep, incredibly curvy, single lane mountain road to Midway.  We had a picnic lunch at Wasatch Mtn State Park, where we were
serenaded by a group of chickadees!  In Midway, we stopped by the war memorial which gives a great view of the town and one of my favorite places the HeberValley Artesian Cheese shop.  There are WAY too many temptations in that one small store!
Today we attended the re-dedication of the Ogden Temple (here in our local stake center).   Pres Monson gave the dedicatory prayer.  I found it neat to feel the spirit of the temple sitting in our own stake center, and I LOVE living where we have so many temples so close!  I am spoiled!


1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I feel you on disliking atonal music. I can appreciate some of it, but most of it just rubs me the wrong way. I love the sound of your beautiful hike, and I'm so glad to hear about your job offer and potential offers! We are definitely praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete